Yellow Rustic Wedding

Yellow-Rustic-Wedding-Centrepiece-feature-image-DIY-paperflowers-wedding.jpg

Yellow-Rustic-Wedding-Centrepiece-close-up-#DIY-#paperflowers-#weddingFor the last 3 weeks, I've been working on a number of yellow rustic wedding centrepieces. My lovely friend, Natasha, was about to marry her best friend, Dave, and I wasn't going to let her get hitched without a beautiful table setting!Their wedding was held at the Toronto Reference Library, so naturally, they gravitated towards old books and birch wood decor. The plan was to have a folded book with table numbers as the central focus, surrounded by five birchwood votives with tea lights, and succulent favours. I immediately thought of unruly wildflowers in a natural, woody setting. It would be an arrangement that looked like the flowers had just been pulled from the garden or forest in haste, as if not too much thought had been put into coordinating the flowers.Yellow-Rustic-Wedding-Centrepiece-#DIY-#paperflowers-#weddingTo achieve the look, I stuck with a simple, naked mason jar tied with natural twine for the base. For the flowers, I wanted small, white and yellow flowers, so I played around with a daisy and reduced its size and created a cluster as fillers. I brought in some white cosmos, with their long unruly stems, as well as sweet peas. For the main flowers, I used a bright lemon yellow ranunculus, rustic yellow roses, and a pale vanilla carnation. Green foliage flushed out the rest of the centrepiece. What I ended up with was a simple yellow rustic wedding centrepiece that looked romantic and effortless.Yellow-Rustic-Wedding-Centrepiece-ingredients-#DIY-#wedding-#paperflowersYellow-Rustic-Wedding-Centrepiece-putting-together-#DIY-#paperflowers-#weddingIt was also a new challenge to try to fit them into a clear vessel without the use of floral foam/styrofoam. What I did was cut a round piece of cardboard to use in place of the metal round piece in the lid. I assembled all of the flowers together with floral tape and inserted the stems thought a small X that I cut through the centre of the the cardboard lid. After pushing the stems through, I fanned them out, and then screwed on the lid. Finally, I pressed the stems down into the X until they were secure.I also revised how I made the DIY Crepe Paper Flower Carnation - I'll be writing about this in the next post (or so). In the meantime, all I can say is that I think I like this *new* technique better.Compared to my own wedding centrepieces, these yellow rustic wedding centrepieces were much smaller with fewer flowers. However, it was still very time consuming. So this whole process - making flowers for someone else's wedding - really got me thinking about where I want to go with this passion of mine.~ Jessie